This wiki is for the Mayo community in Jacksonville to read and share resources and best practices with each other.
- 1 Support Groups at Mayo
- 2 Pharmacy at Mayo
- 3 Activities at Mayo
- 4 The Inn at Mayo
- 5 Transportation
- 6 Getting The Call
- 7 Supplies to Bring to the Hospital
- 8 Post-transplant Supplies
- 9 Dining in the Hospital
- 10 Flashcards
- 11 Things to do in Jacksonville
- 12 Services
- 13 Food & Grocery
- 14 Waiting List Data
- 15 FAQs
- 16 Reading Material
- 17 Additional Resources
Support Groups at Mayo
- The support groups at Mayo Clinic's campus in Florida are invaluable, attend them if you can. They are an incredible resource of information.
- The attendees range from patients undergoing the evaluation process, newly listed and previous transplant recipients.
Pharmacy at Mayo
- There is a pharmacy on the first floor of the Davis Building.
Activities at Mayo
- Tuesdays from 5:15pm - 6:30pm in Cannaday room 1106 (next to the Kinne Auditorium).
- Classes are $6. Bring your own mat. Wear comfortable clothing.
- Second Chance Support Group Potluck
- The second Thursday of each month at The Inn at Mayo lobby.
- Bring something if you can, or just bring yourself.
The Inn at Mayo
- Continental breakfast is served daily.
- Monday - Friday 6:30am - 9:30am
- Saturday - Sunday 7:00am - 10:00am
- Coin operated laundry machines are located on the second floor.
- You can buy $10 rolls of quarters from the front desk in the lobby.
- Hours: 8am - 10pm
Find the corresponding channel in your room using the TV Channel Lineup
|TV Channel Lineup|
|2 ABC-WJXX||10 ESPN2-HD||18 ESPN CLASSIC||26 CARTOON||34 USA|
|3 CBS-WTEV||11 DISCOVER-HD||19 NFL||27 NICK||35 TBS|
|4 FOX-WAWS||12 TNT-HD||20 BLOOMBERG||28 A&E||36 FX|
|5 NBC-WTLV||13 HDNET||21 CNBC||29 HISTORY||37 UNIVISION|
|6 PBS-WJCT||14 HDNET MOVIES||22 CNN||30 NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC||38 SPEED|
|7 CW-WCWJ||15 UNIVERSAL-HD||23 CNN HLN||31 TLC||39 FOOD|
|8 HBO-HD||16 ESPN NEWS||24 FOX NEWS||32 WEATHER|
|9 ESPN-HD||17 ESPNU||25 MSNBC||33 COMEDY|
- Fitness Room
- There is a 24-hour fitness room with an exercise bike and two treadmills located on the first floor.
- There are a number of bikes available for recreational guest use. They are located inside near the two side entrances of The Inn at Mayo.
- Tip: Wear a helmet. Jacksonville motorists drive fast and are not aware of bikers.
- Ask Isliana, of housekeeping, about ordering homemade tamales ($2 each).
- They are such a treat, thank you Isliana!
- Enterprise Rent-A-Car
- The local Enterprise branch at 527 3rd St. S. (904) 249-0805 has a relationship with Mayo and offers special rates year-round to Mayo patients/caregivers.
- They will pick you up and drop you off.
- To receive these special rates you must speak with the local branch and tell them you are with Mayo.
- 2-Day weekend rate (Friday - Sunday or Saturday - Monday) is ~$30 (200 limited mileage)
- 3-Day weekend rate (Friday - Monday) is ~$40 (300 limited mileage)
- Monthly rate is ~$726.00 (Mayo discount code 691022)
- Bus - BH20 Beaches Community Shuttle
- You can pick up a BH20 brochure at The Inn at Mayo front desk.
- This bus goes by:
- Atlantic Village Shopping Center
- Baptist Medical Center Beaches
- Mayo Clinic
- South Beach Regional Plaza
- How to Ride:
- You can board at a stop designated by a Community Shuttle at a regularly scheduled time, or, you can request premium curbside service (50¢) and the Community Shuttle will pick you up or drop you off anywhere within the service area (includes Mayo Clinic).
- To make a reservation:
- Call (904) 598-8724 at least two hours in advance or up to three calendar days before you plan to travel.
- For more information:
- Jacksonville Transit Authority
- (904) 630-3100
Getting The Call
- Provide contact numbers for both the patient and caregiver
- You can confirm the correct phone numbers are on file for you and your caregiver at the registration desk on the first floor of the Mayo building.
- Answer your phone
- Do not screen your calls. The call from organ procurement may not be from a registered Mayo number.
- Keep your phone charged
- You can be called anytime, so make sure your phone is charged and close by at all times. (ie. Don't turn it off in the movie theater.)
- Don't panic if you miss a call
- Mayo will make multiple attempts to contact you for transplantation, so don't panic if you miss a call. They will call again.
Supplies to Bring to the Hospital
This list was provided by a Mayo transplant coordinator.
- Electronic blood pressure cuff and monitor
- Brand new tooth brush
- Clothing that fits loosely
- All your medications in their prescription bottles
- Legal documents
- Pharmacy information
- Medic Alert Bracelet
- Additional Recommendations
- Phone charger
- Caregiver's toothbrush
- Muscle milk (good source of protein)
Dining in the Hospital
- The hospital will provide you with an extensive menu that you can use to order food anytime between 8am - 5pm (?).
- You can also bring outside food into the hospital - fast food, take out, or home cooked meals.
- Caloric intake is important after transplant. Fulfill cravings when you can. Encourage light snacking for patients who do not have an appetite.
Learning a few key health terms will keep you up to speed when talking to doctors and other patients.
- Liver Disease
Things to do in Jacksonville
It's important to remain active while you wait. Get out and enjoy yourself.
- Jacksonville.com Events
- Museum of Science & History (MOSH)
- On $5 Fridays the museum stays open until 8 p.m.
- Cummer Museum of Art & Gardens
- College Students with ID enjoy free admission Tuesday through Friday, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Free admission for all, each Tuesday, 4 p.m. to 9 p.m.
- Free admission for all the first Saturday of each month, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Free admission for Bank of America and Merrill Lynch cardholders the first full weekend of each month.
- Museum of Contemporary Art
- Adults: $8, Seniors (60 years and older): $5, Children (2-12): $5, Children under 2 are free
- Retired Military: $5, Active Military (with military ID): $5
- Students: $5 (Free for college students w/current ID Tuesday – Friday 1:30-4 p.m.)
- UNF Students (with current ID): Free
- MOCA Jacksonville members: Free
- Free admission for all on the first Wednesday of every month, during Artwalk, from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m.
- Bank of America cardholders get free entry on the first Saturday and Sunday of every month.
- Regions Bank card holders: Free on Sundays
- Regal Beach Boulevard Stadium 18 (Movie Theater)
- This is the closest movie theater to Mayo Clinic
- 14051 Beach Blvd. Jacksonville FL (844) 462-7342 Ext.188
- Admission to their Summer Movie Express is only $1 (kids movies)
- Cinemark Tinseltown Movie Theater
- Monday is Senior Day ($5.65 tickets)
- Tuesday is Discount Day ($6 tickets)
- Javier Brito DDS
- 520 Jacksonville Dr, Jacksonville Beach, FL 32250
- (904) 249-4085
- He is recommended by Tiffany Norman and Freida Hayes (among others).
Food & Grocery
- Publix Market
- 1444 Beach Blvd.
- Jacksonville, Fl.32250
- Supermarket with pharmacy. Close and convenient on the corner of San Pablo Rd. and Beach Blvd.
- The Fresh Market
- 13493 Atlantic Blvd
- Jacksonville, FL 32225
- Upscale grocery store with a local focus.
- La Salsa Produce
- 11761 Beach Blvd Jacksonville, FL 32246
- (727) 254-2259
- Asian ethnic foods, fish market, and inexpensive produce.
Waiting List Data
- Organ Procurement and Transplantation Network (OPTN)
- Steps to search OPTN Center Data for your current waitlist.
- STEP 1. Choose a State: Florida
- STEP 2. Choose Center: Mayo Clinic Florida
- Choose Category: Waiting List
- Choose Organ: ie. Liver
- STEP 3. Select: Organ By Status
- Add Field to Report: ABO (Blood Type)
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Memento Mori by David Malham
- What every patient needs to know - by the United Network for Organ Sharing
- Healthy Transplant
- Sponsored by the American Society of Transplantation.